Further free £500 Mediation Vouchers announced!
The Ministry of Justice has already spent just over £3m (plus admin costs) on the £500 max Voucher Scheme to date. They have committed to yet more expenditure on these valuable mediation vouchers. The couples (and possibly grandparents etc) that qualify are those who:
- Have a dispute relating to a child
- Have a dispute regarding family financial matters and also involved a dispute relating to a child
- Have attended a MIAM or a first meeting with their mediator (not funded by the Voucher Scheme)
- The mediation is undertaken by a Family Mediation Council Accredited mediator
I am an accredited mediator.
There is no financial eligibility, unlike legal aid. (NB Legal Mediation is still available which I don't do).
Of those who use mediation vouchers:
- 77% reached a conclusion in whole or in part;
- 48% of clients would not have used mediation had it not been for the scheme.
I can only think that many cases have avoided court, which is still struggling because of COVID.
The scheme is operated by the Family Mediation Council; its member organisations are The Law Society, Resolution, The College of Mediators and Family Mediators Association. Representatives from each group have been part of an ongoing sub committee meeting every 2 weeks to monitor the scheme and ensure its success. I have been honoured to represent The Law Society.
I am pleased to be offering this cost saving service so do please ask me about it when we first start mediation together. The scheme is time limited in that I must claim the voucher within 4 months of applying for a voucher.